Pages

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Friends, Continued! Introducing Neil



No, Neil is not some Cartoon ‘Rock Guitarist’ Character, though at times it is tempting to call him just that! I can hear some people shouting YES! Lol!

With all the excitement in my life, some of you would’ve thought I forgot to write about you! Well, not at all! I believe in friendships that span a life time and help us grow! So without further a due, let’s meet Neil ‘The Guitarist’ Roy!

When Neil came and joined the choir, I was one of those who openly commented that Neil Roy is indeed a blessing! After Steve left, it was kind of difficult to get someone to replace him on the keyboard! Needless to say, Steve worked wonders on that machine! Neil was a master of a different kind, not on the keyboard but on the Strings, Guitar Strings that is! Neil is the greatest guitarist I’ve ever met and known! He knows the guitar like the back of his hands, maybe even more than that!

Neil was a blessing in more than one way! First of all, his guitar skills made it possible to sing in the correct pitch and wonderfully! His excellent knowledge of music helped even the keyboardist (when he was around ;) : p)! During the time when I was left in charge of the choir, Neil’s presence offered a great peace of mind! Thank you!

Secondly, Neil’s experience and highly musical background meant that he brought a wealth of experience and new ideas into the choir. Who would forget the Christmas concert and how he and Tim gave different ideas as they experienced them from home! That was one of the greatest experiences I’ve had in India!

Thirdly, if ever there was a guitar around, there was sure to be some entertainment from this maestro, as he just couldn’t help strumming away those musical notes, sometimes playing and singing a familiar number, or doing a duet with Rueben (Great singer) or playing something that we all don’t know and are left to listen and enjoy! How I miss those times now!

Fourthly, Neil came with the maturity that maybe I (and possibly the entire choir) needed! He was someone I could count on accomplishing a task that was at hand and needed his attention! He was supportive whenever work had to be done together! He was committed to the choir! He was someone I could actually talk to and relate to on different levels! He didn’t bring with him challenges that the younger members of the choir brought, but was someone who would be sure to try solving the various challenges that the choir had! More importantly and sometimes very funny, Neil was like me, the ‘We don’t care guys, you decide and let us know’!

Neil and I after Easter Mass!


Neil is currently doing his MCA at Loyola, second year! He managed to also invite his brother to the choir! And I hope that you guys are now singing better and better everyday!

Neil and Alfy sharing a moment!

3 comments:

  1. Neil is a truly amazing guy indeed! Though I hardly got to spend time with him during the 4 day Nellore - Chennai trip back in March this year (that's the only time I got to meet him), I got to know him pretty well and his amazing taste and flexibility in music really bonded us together! Hail Neil! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey niren....watsup man how r u doing?

    ReplyDelete